MALO E LELEI!
Tonga welcomes many visitors into the Kingdom each year. For more information on Tonga please visit the Tonga Visitor’s Bureau website at www.thekingdomoftonga.com
Below is information that would guide you if you decide to visit, live, work or study and invest in the Kingdom of Tonga
PASSPORT AND VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING THE KINGDOM OF TONGA
Passports are required except for:
1. Carte de service (issued to officials of the South Pacific Commission now known as the Secretariat of the Pacific);
2. Certificate or document of identity provided holder is entitled to re-admission into the country which issued the document or holds relevant official documentation;
3. Seaman’s book if entry into Tonga is BY SEAPORT
4. Members of Airline crew do NOT require a passport, UNLESS such crew member intends to stay in Tonga for longer than 24 hours. The name of the said crew member should appear on the crew manifest presented to Border Control in the Kingdom
5. Certificate of Identity issued by the Government of Tonga
6. Laissez-Passer (issued to officials of the United Nations)
7. Military Identity Card OR movement order provided travelling on duty to Tonga
8. Letter of authority from one of Tonga’s diplomatic missions overseas and bearing the official stamp of the Tongan Diplomatic Mission; OR
9. Letter of authority issued by the Immigration Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Tonga, bearing the official stamp of either the Minister of Foreign Affairs or the Principal Immigration Officer.
Validity of Passport:
All Passports MUST be valid on arrival in the Kingdom for a period of at least 6 months, EXCEPT for:-
1. Holders of ordinary Tongan Passport
2. Diplomatic or Official Tonga or Tonga National Passports which must be VALID FOR THE DATE OF ARRIVAL IN THE KINGDOM.
PERSONS HOLDING EXPIRED TONGAN PASSPORTS MAY NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM ON THE EXPIRED DOCUMENT.
Citizens who hold passports from ANY of the countries listed below are granted permission to enter the Kingdom and apply ON ARRIVAL at port of entry for visitor’s visa, provided that the visitor holds a valid return ticket out of the Kingdom to a country which s/he shall be able to enter, and the Immigration Office is satisfied that the visitor has sufficient funds to financially maintain her/himself while in Tonga. The visa is free of charge for a period of one month.
Countries NOT requiring VISAs (69)
10.China SARs ONLY (Hong Kong and Macao)
11.Cook Islands (NZ)
17.Federated States of Micronesia
44.Papua New Guinea
56.St. Kitts & Nevis
69.Wallis & Futuna (French)
If you would like to extend your visa or you have any further inquiries contact the Immigration Department in Nuku’alofa or Neiafu, Vava’u – Phone 26 970, Fax 26 971 and email
Visitors holding non Tongan passports are advised that it is illegal to take up employment, business, and schooling or study courses while in the Kingdom on a visitor’s visa. All non Tongan passport holders shall ensure that their visas remain valid for the period for which they are in the Kingdom. Persons in breach of the Immigration Act may be prosecuted and subject to a term of imprisonment or fine or both.
For ALL other Visas please follow the link below:
1. VISITORS VISA (For all other Citizens not included on the above list)
2. EMPLOYMENT VISA
3. BUSINESS VISA
4. STUDENT VISA
5. RESIDENCY VISA
6. ASSURED INCOME VISA